Congratulations to the fall 2017 Foundations scholars!
Foundations is a seven-week lecture series that introduces Syracuse University students to essential life-skills. Lecture topics include: community involvement, leadership, career development, financial wellness, healthy relationships and self-care, physical health and nutrition, and information literacy. While this series is open to ALL students, undergraduate students who attend all sessions can enter to win a $1,000 Foundations Scholarship.
The Spring 2018 Foundations Workshop Series:
Jan. 22, 7-8 p.m., 010 Eggers Hall
“Leadership” with Mark Trumbo, student-athlete engagement coordinator, Athletics
Beneath every house lies a foundation. That foundation is responsible for bearing the weight of the entire house and its ability to stand against the elements of nature. Your Core Values are the foundation that bears the weight of your decision making and choices. What do you stand for? As the old saying goes, “If you don’t stand for something, you will fall for anything.” This highly interactive session will push you to make tough choices and understand what it is YOU value!
Jan. 29, 7-8 p.m., 010 Eggers Hall
“Resilience” with the Office of Health Promotion
Feb. 19, 7-8 p.m., 010 Eggers Hall
“Financial Wellness” with Derek Brainard, financial literacy coordinator, the Office of Financial Literacy
March 26, 7-8 p.m., 500 Hall of Languages
Foundations Celebration and Scholar Awards
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
In order to be considered for a $1,000 scholarship you must be an undergraduate student, attend ALL sessions, and submit ONE of the following by Friday, March 9, 2018, at 12:00 p.m. to email@example.com:
- A double-spaced essay about what you learned from at least two topical areas and how you will apply what you learned to your life (750 words maximum, in Microsoft Word or PDF format)
- A video/vlog of 3-5 minutes discussing what you learned from at least two topical areas and how you will apply what you learned to your life (you can submit a link to a video)
- A digital portfolio of photos and/or other creative media showing what you learned from at least two topical areas and how you will apply what you learned to your life (this option is open to your own interpretation; please let us know if you have any questions)
A selection committee will select winner(s) and notify winner(s) during the series awards session.
Foundations is a collaborative effort between many Syracuse University departments and schools, including Career Services, The Office of Financial Literacy, Athletics, The Office of Health Promotion, and The Office of Engagement Programs – with more partnerships to come.
If you are interested in participating or presenting as a Foundations partner, please email Derek Brainard, firstname.lastname@example.org, with a description of your topic and session, along with at least three desired outcomes from your presentation. All participants will be reviewed and determined via committee.
To provide holistic education across key areas to prepare students for life.
A collaboration of Syracuse University campus offices to provide engaging educational opportunities for students in key life areas.
Participant Outcomes and Evaluation
1) To improve self-efficacy.
2) To gain baseline knowledge and resources.
3) To increase self-awareness.
4) To engage in and learn about being socially responsible.